Barton Village, a Brief History
Barton Village, formerly Barton Mills, was incorporated as a village in the Town of Barton on November 21 st , 1874. In 1889 a water system, using May Pond as a source, was installed as well as a sewage disposal system. These systems where upgraded in the late 1970s when the waste water treatment plant was installed.
Barton Academy and Graded was constructed in 1907 to house grades K-12. In 1967 when Lake Region High School opened grades 9-12 started attending there. Currently Barton Graded educates grades K-8.
Throughout the years several fires have taken their toll on the Village. Despite the fact that many historic sites within our borders have been destroyed, the Village has shown incredible resilience.
Recent efforts to rejuvenate the Village have included restructuring the Water and Sewer rates as well as seeking grant monies to make improvements to Village facilities. Most recently a grant was attained to install a new generator to support the Memorial Hall as an emergency shelter.
For more information about the history of Barton Village visit the Crystal Lake Falls Historical Association website.
Pay your Bill
Office Hours & Location
Village of Barton, Inc.
17 Village Square,
Barton, VT 05822